Sunday, January 23, 2011

Search for Public-Speaking Skills

As I clicked on the link my sister sent me to watch J.K. Rowling's commencement speech to Harvard University, my sister's comment saying "it's worth it!" had me wondering...would it be? Time is of the essence for me as a law student, and thus I speculated as to the utility of watching the talk. However, I watched it and I am so glad I did. Not only was Rowling optimistic, inspiring, and down-to-earth, I enjoyed the fact that her speech was humorous and witty. Additionally, I learned quite a number of things from her speech. Among them addresses the theme for today's post: Search for Public-Speaking Skills.

As someone who a) spent four years of her life public speaking at venues in various states across the country and b) is going to base her entire career on her public speaking and writing skills, I want to use J.K. Rowling's speech and my own experiences to highlight some ideas to help those who want some advice on how to speak to an audience.

1. Release that Fear of Failure: Although I greatly value and hope to keep in mind the ending quote of J.K. Rowling's speech, "As is a tale, so is life: not how long it is, but how good it is, is what matters," that is not the one that touched me the most. The line in her talk that struck a core deep within me is this one:

"It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all – in which case, you fail by default."
-J.K. Rowling's Commencement Speech at Harvard University

With this quote, Rowling speaks about fear of failure, an underlying source of distress and loss of success for many individuals. I am a firm believer that to achieve liberation and success, one must destroy and be freed of the fear of failure. If you do not act because of failure, then why live at all?

It is the same with public-speaking. Inherently, you may have that reoccuring nightmare of standing in front of a crowd, microphone in hand, only to realize that you are standing in your underwear. Or that fear that when you begin to speak, suddenly the low murmur of discontent becomes a loud booing. However, those visualizations are not realities. And even if they were realities once upon a time, they need not be your future reality. Tearing away from the fear of failure and visualizing your success is the key to succeeding.

Rowling also quotes the Greek author Plutarch saying, "What we achieve inwardly will change outer reality." I believe that if you visualize the crowd listening avidly, the clapping hands after you speak, or the enthusiastic response of volunteers after you are done speaking, that is the reality that will ensue.

2. Speak with Confidence: From the Sound of Music, she sings, "I have confidence in confidence alone!" That is no less true in public-speaking. By projecting your voice and speaking with confidence, others will listen to you. You may say "no it doesn't! I've tried." Then you weren't talking loud enough. Speak loudly to have everyone to quiet down if you are speaking to a rowdy crowd. Then, project that voice with confidence when everyone is quiet to begin speaking about the reason you are in front of them. If everyone is quiet and there is only a microphone for you, that is all the better. If you speak like people should listen to you, people will listen to you. Confidence results in speaking slower so people can understand you and thus pay attention. Have confidence in what you are saying. Be loud and be articulate!

3. Smile: I have always found that people respond better to those who smile. So when you talk, smile :). Unless it is about something sad like a tragedy. Then don't smile.

4. Look Up: If you are speaking to a large crowd in an open lit environment, make eye contact with the people you are speaking to. Look around the room as you speak, as if you are having a one-on-one conversation with each person you are looking at. Then they really will feel like you are. Speaking to the ground means only the ground can hear you. Eyes up, chin up, and project that voice! If you are speaking in a dark room (or in my case it was pitch black), focus your eyes on something straight across and talk to that as if it is your best friend or your sibling. For me it was the bright red EXIT sign.

5. Short and Sweet: Do not ramble! I found that keeping what you are saying to concise and short sentences is the best for keeping attention and for having the audience understand you. If you talk for a long time, people lose interest and then they will start to drift away in their own conversations or ignore you. While you have their attention, maximize it by punching the BIG takeaways in short and sweet sentences.

Lastly, GOOD LUCK!

1 comment:

  1. Omg, I saw JKR's commencement speech online too! It was awesome, wasn't it? Well I'm glad you thought it was worth your time :)

    I like what you say about changing your beliefs in a more positive light. That reminds me of the Chinese proverb: "the first step to better times is to imagine them."

    #3 is quite funny. :D Smile, don't smile! lol

    ~TRA

    http://xtheredangelx.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete